18/05/2020

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

"You there, in the bushes. You have until the count of five to show yourself before I start throwing sharp objects"




Tactical, turn-based video games. I seem to like them. Advance Wars is some kind of phenomenon, though as time has gone on I've mellowed on it a little. The likes of Tactics Ogre appeal, but I'm still yet to dive into them full-time, so to speak. Is there, perhaps, a game that blends the two together? A simple enough system to get my head around, but with a fantasy setting?

It is an understatement to say that Intelligent Systems have been busy working with Nintendo platforms, and now they've gone and answered my pondering in the form of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, a fantasy tactical role-playing game that requires no prior knowledge of any Fire Emblem game.

Perfect.




Fun Times


The GameCube plays host to Path of Radiance, and I'm emulating what appears to be a cartoon introduction where I've absolutely no idea what's going on and who these people are. But am I interested in seeing more? Uhh... yeah? I think I am. I mean, I need to if I want to have a clue what Path of Radiance is about.




The artwork gets better and better and flashes up so fast that you can't take everything on board, and it mixes with gameplay footage, which seems a bit of a mistake because the gameplay doesn't look anywhere near as good as these images, but there is definitely something neat about Path of Radiance.

I spot a few characters I'm interested in finding out about. Others I want nothing to do with - a tad too animé for my tastes. But Fire Emblem has caught my attention. And then it gets even better.




What appears to be a cel-shaded CG cutscene introduces us to our lead character, Ike, in training against his father, Greil. It looks really good. It wins me over, even. I want to see what this game has in store.




Distracted by my sister, Mist, I'm sent to the floor in a heap. This was all voiced, but not subtitled, unfortunately. And when the game starts up, it's the reverse.




This is what you'll be seeing for much of Path of Radiance, a blend of cel-shaded characters in simple and not too shabby environments, with artwork and text boxes to keep everything moving. I said it doesn't come close to what we saw in the introduction, and it's nowhere near what that cutscene was showing us, but they're the kind of visuals that are pleasing on the eye, even if they're not the best in show.




We need to learn how to fight if we're ever to become a mercenary, and Path of Radiance, being the grid-based tactical game that it is, plays out much as you'd expect. You select a unit, move them anywhere within range, and execute commands like using items or walloping nearby threats.




It's so simple that for the most part, you're just sat back, watching the action unfold. When you attack an enemy, the camera switches to a battle screen to play out a load of animations and fancy lighting effects when you land a blow. Each action is rewarded with varying amounts of experience points to level up your character.

You can imagine how it plays already, can't you? So let's get this story going.




We've proven ourselves capable enough to be a mercenary, but not disciplined enough to get up on time. We'll learn, I'm sure. Greil entrusts Titania to look after us as we travel out on our first job, dealing with a bunch of bandits in a nearby town.




Each battle takes place on a dedicated map and has various victory conditions. I'm not fussed with the details, though, and just want to get stuck into some action to see how it all plays with metal weaponry, rather than wooden training weapons.

Before that happens, though, we're introduced to the rock-paper-scissors-like system that Path of Radiance has for axes, lances, and swords.




Sure enough, Oscars Iron Lance isn't as effective against this bandit's Iron Axe as my sword would be, but I didn't worry too much. Oscar seems quite capable, and he's on a horse, so he must be pretty good.




As he's on a mount, he can move, attack, and move again, something us peasants walking around on foot can't do. This leads to hit and run tactics, which is something I don't recall doing a whole lot of in other tactical games. Maybe I've not played them enough.




In the middle of the fight, you can walk into people's houses and have a chat, where the locals will reward you with items. It's a little strange, but is also a tactical choice to make, as your foes can walk up to these houses and just flatten them, denying you whatever was inside. Are they worth the gamble and the distraction to investigate?




I hadn't played much of Path of Radiance, but I was definitely in the mood to play more. It's not much, but it's satisfying to see. All I did was press the 'A' button to confirm an attack. A short animation plays out and a bandit dies. Might it get old? Yeah. I suppose it could. But not yet.




I'd prefer these chats to be voiced, but I suppose if they were I'd find a reason to complain about them not fitting what I imagine these characters to sound like, so I'll take the text. The writing isn't amazing but thankfully isn't awful either. I'm churning through it quickly to get to the gameplay right now, but hopefully, it'll turn into a story that I can really invest some time in.




This might be more what I'm looking for. A mysterious letter, a character making a hasty exit, an order to prepare for combat. Yes, Rhys, I wonder what all the fuss is about.




Where else, Boyd? I've got to rescue my sister. It is the chapter title, after all. We've no option to follow orders and stay put, no branching storylines, so buckle up and follow along with wherever Fire Emblem wants to take you.




Another fight, and this time we've got a healer in the party. I don't intend to use him often, though, on higher difficulties, I'd imagine he'd get a fair few experience points patching up my numerous wounds. How was I to know an axe would do so much damage against a lance? What? It was drummed into me from the start and I'm reminded of the system each and every turn? Oh. Yeah.




Good job I'm playing on the easiest difficulty then. Less to worry about. Trading items? Working together? I'll learn that when it all starts getting more challenging. For now, just keep pressing 'A'.




We clear the map of bandits and get scolded by Titania for rushing in without thinking. But it's not over yet, apparently, as more bandits appear, threatening to kill their hostages.




Frustrations


How's that for an introduction? Well, a little awkward, I suppose. When you've only got still images and in-game animations to portray something, sometimes it doesn't come across.

Shinon here killed the bandit before he could harm Rolf, who faints because he's a child who thought he was about to die. That's canon. What I saw was a bandit attack Rolf, die as though he'd just attacked a God who killed him with but a thought, and Rolf drop to the floor from the effort involved.

I literally thought Rolf could kill people with his tiny child mind, but no, he was saved from an archer in a bush. Would make for quite a different story...




Further Fun Times


Quirks aside, I was continuing to play Path of Radiance and thoroughly enjoying the gameplay. I was making use of none of the systems, really - something that will eventually come back to bite me in the arse - but was eager to see more of Fire Emblem.

The first thing to see was just how good these newcomers to the party are.




I'm not a massive fan of them as characters, but as combatants... welcome aboard, sirs.




A third party, an enemy of my enemy, joins the fight, flying a pegasus and angry about her brother being thrown overboard if memory serves. We can't control her, but we can make sure to not get in her way as she helps us whittle down these pirates.




The fight was over in no time at all after that. It even finished without me having to wipe the map clear of pirates, as it was enough for me to just kill the captain. Lucky, because I didn't know it was the captain until I attacked him. It probably said on the battle map, but I don't read that. Blue to move, orange to hit. That's all I want to know.




After the locals thank us for our service, our new friends drop the bombshell that they've been questioning whether the mercenary life is for them, or perhaps, whether life under Greil is for them. Do we fight for the people, or for the highest bidder? Should we be striving for more? Are we capable of better?

Lots of questions for another time.


Final Word


I'd played about an hour of Fire Emblem and had made it through three chapters. It feels like there's going to be three hundred chapters. Not the best use of the word, I think. Anyway, that's not important. What is important is that I've not seen enough. I only stopped because I needed to eat. This is exactly the kind of game I can get behind.

It's not perfect, but it does what it sets out to do very well. You don't have to have knowledge of Fire Emblem to get something out of it. You don't have to be a tactical genius to get through the battles. I'll probably need to polish up on all the intricacies of the battles, like setting up beforehand, trading equipment between party members, and really making use of axes, lances, and swords, but with video tutorials for seemingly everything, it shouldn't take long to take it all in.

I don't think anything about Path of Radiance stands out as being incredible, but the sum of its parts does make for an impressive game worthy of playing around with. I bet this few under the radar a decade and a half ago. I sure had no idea of its existence, but then I was locked to the PlayStation 2 at this point in time.

I'm going to play some more of this, at some point. Will it get old? Will it get too hard? Will too many characters get in the way and sap my interest in the others? I've absolutely no idea but want to find out.


Fun Facts


If a character dies in battle, they're gone for good. Now I really need to brush up on how all these systems work.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, developed by Intelligent Systems, first released in 2005.
Version played: Nintendo GameCube, 2005, via emulation.