19/01/2021

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

Retro Evolved Harder?


Source // Microsoft


I played Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved and had a mix of ups and downs before concluding that it was entertaining for the short while I spent playing it, but had no real intentions of ever putting more time or effort into it. For what reward? A higher score? More colours?

I didn't see the point, but would a more colourful sequel in the form of Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 make me think again?

Source // Microsoft


Fun Times


Look at all those colours! I've only got the demo of Retro Evolved 2 for the Xbox 360, but comparing it to the first game makes this one feel like an HD remaster. I would say "Gone is the retro look", but the minimalistic visuals are still here, they're just hidden behind insane numbers of colourful swirls and 'splosions that come at you from all angles.

The game remains identical, control-wise. One stick to move, one to shoot, and the drop of a screen-clearing bomb on the trigger buttons. Even with all these new colours, it'll zip along at a challenging pace without struggle - but will you?


Source // Microsoft
Source // Microsoft
Source // Microsoft


New to the game is a whole load of game modes that mix up the rules to the original game, though that too is a mode in Retro Evolved 2.

The only mode available to me in the demo was the Deadline mode, which just slaps a time-limit on your run. Die as often as you like (and keep your multiplier too, whey), just score as many points as possible. I suppose it's a smart way to advertise the game in a bite-sized manner, but it does feel that Xbox 360 demos were taking the piss sometimes.

Other modes included will task you with defeating set sequences of enemy waves, or of going through a game without the ability to shoot. At all. Ever. You have to lead your foes into something or other which will kill them for you.


Source // Microsoft


Frustrations


All of that sounds nice, it's certainly interesting to see how the original game was bent and broken to create something new, but there are a few problems.

Firstly, I don't know how any of these modes play first hand, so I don't know if they're worth the price of admission, and secondly, I am the type of player who will probably get bored when they hit the inevitable skill ceiling and outright refuse to bother putting in the error to smash through it.


Final Word


That's my problem with many of these little games. I'm sure that pulling off an insane run through hundreds of glowing enemies, squeezing through a gap to safety in the nick of time is an immense feeling, both in terms of the satisfaction at your performance and the elation of having won the thing, but for me to get into that place requires at least a bit of interest in the game itself.

Retro Evolved 2 is a neat game. It's fun, it's approachable, it's damn attractive in motion, but at the end of the day, I know for a fact that I'm going to get bored of it after 20 minutes, tops, and a timed three-minute demo isn't going to help, either.

It's probably got plenty of bang for its buck if you're a fan who can see themselves putting in hours into it in search of high scores, but then I question why the original game made the 1001 list if this one does it flashier and with more content.

I'm not saying to avoid either game, they're both great for the brief time I found myself playing them, but had no real sticking power. If you asked me for a twin-stick shooter recommendation, they might be up there for their simplicity and iconic look, but I'd probably go for something like Dead Nation first because it's not a neon-lit high score chaser, but a story-driven zombie apocalypse survival shooter. It's more interesting to me. It offers a reason to keep playing.

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 is another little game which won't be a bad choice at all. It just won't be my choice very often.


Fun Facts


Design inspiration for new challenges came from reading fan-made strategy guides of the first game and trying to push people out of those comfort zones.

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2, developed by Bizarre Creations, first released in 2008.
Version played: Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 Demo, Xbox 360, 2008.