28/10/2019

Mojib-Ribbon

( t x t )




Vib-Ribbon was odd but charming - so far as a pointy rabbit electronically shrieking in pain having walked into a spike trap could be charming.

Mojib-Ribbon, bringing rhythm-based weirdness to the PlayStation 2, is utterly impenetrable, yet is a must-play, according to this 1001 list. This'll be tricky then...




Fun Times


As simple as Vib-Ribbon was, it was entertaining. Until you grew bored of it, or it was too much of a challenge. With better hardware, Mojib-Ribbon can show us so much more than white lines in a vacuum, and the game opens with some old school Japanese ink writing and yellowed paper, or canvas or something.

It is stylish, and strange to see when we hear some kind of techno rap and synthesised voices in the background.




Having only been released in Japan, I'm emulating this game, and I like what I see. I've no idea what it is I'm seeing, but it looks good. It sounds weird, but that's to be expected. But why is it deemed so damn tricky to get into?




Frustrations


Oh. Oh, right. Yeah. That's a little tricky for folks who can only read from the Latin alphabet...




I spent a good five minutes trying to navigate these menus. I think I made two-player profiles and the only shapes I understood were those that were found on a PlayStation controller. Still, I eventually got into the gameplay.




I'd like to point out at this moment in time that I don't know what any of the controls are, and there is an obstacle in my path. I jab at all the buttons one after another, hoping it is as simple as Vib-Ribbon, but nothing seems to work.




Taking too many hits, I shrink a little and can try again. I waggle the sticks. Something worked! My brush swings into action and covers something in ink. Progress at last! But what was it I did? How did I waggle the sticks? Which stick is the important one?




I'm going to guess that this translates to something like 'Game Over'.


Final Word


Right. So. Mojib-Ribbon. I read that you're painting rap lyrics on the floor or something, and the better you do the... better you do? I have no idea. Is there a scoring system in place here?

Apparently, this is a lovely little game, apart from it being utterly incomprehensible to gamers who can't read or hear Japanese, which puts me at quite the disadvantage. I'm still not sure how I was able to get into a game and don't know for sure if I'd be able to get into another, even knowing that one of the analogue sticks will be useful for painting things.

Is that the only input that matters? Will I need to learn multiple buttons for different obstacles, like Vib-Ribbon? Will I find that out in the safety of a menu, or painfully, trial and error style, in an attempt to make it through a single song?

Can I even recommend Mojib-Ribbon to anybody? I'd recommend Vib-Ribbon first, for sure, and only if you're dedicated should you dive into Mojib-Ribbon, but I can only say that because I have at least successfully managed to play and understand Vib-Ribbon.

There may come a time when I translate my way through the menus to try Mojib-Ribbon properly, but I think it's probably not worth the effort. It's not like I'm a massive fan of music and rhythm games. I'm sure I could sleep soundly with my decision to abandon this one.

Check it out if you can, I guess? Don't look at me for any answers.


Fun Facts


You have to dip your brush in ink and then swipe at the right time? I'm never gonna manage that...

Mojib-Ribbon, developed by NanaOn-Sha, Ltd., first released in 2003.
Version played: PlayStation 2, 2003, via emulation.